Re: Backend functions

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Backend functions
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 20:16:33 -0600

Fred Kiefer wrote:
> First there is this code snipplet in gui/Source/NSStringDrawing:
>
> #ifdef XDPS_BACKEND_LIBRARY
>   /* FIXME: Hack to force DGS to flush the text */
>   DPSrectfill(draw->ctxt, 0, 0, 0.5, 0.5);
> #endif
>
> Could any user of the xdps back end confirm that we can safely drop
> this. It probably wont be compiled anyway.

Well, I haven't used the DGS system for awhile, but I imagine it's
broken now because of this. Although it really should be fixed in DGS. I
myself prefer the XFree86 DPS system, which doesn't have this problem.
I'd say take it out for now.

> After this I would like to introduce a lot more methods on
> NSGraphicsContext. There should be one method to set a NSBezierPath
> (Which would in the standard implementation just include the current
> code of NSBezierPath _doPath, xgps would overwrite this to replace the
> Bezier path directly. Than we need a method to set the NSFont, or find a
> way to really use the current ones. We need methods to display Unicode
> strings, additional methods for NSImage and so on.

Sounds fine, particularly if you can access all of this functionality
from AppKit classes (rather than our custom PS methods), which I beleive
you can.