Re: is Gorm still under development?

From: Robert E. Hartley
Subject: Re: is Gorm still under development?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:35:33 -0400

Nicola Pero wrote:

> I think the first releases are supposed to work exactly like the NeXTSTEP
> Interface Builder used to do - which should be pretty much the same as the
> current Mac OS X one.

Great!  I just borrowed a couple of books off of a buddy:

"The NeXT Book" and "NeXTSTEP Programming, Step One: Object-Oriented
Applications"

Both are old, but they clearly illustrate how to use and develop with NeXTSTEP.

For experimentation purposes, I am going to try installing OpenStep under VMWare
on Linux.  If that works fine, I will be able to start seeing where I can make
some sort of a contribution.

> With later versions we could go for some
> differences, but it takes a lot of time to build up experience and skills
> to actually be able to improve on such a good design - so we should really
> stick with producing a software which can give something very similar to
> the nextstep experience at first.
>
> If you figure out how to use it, it would be nice to document it a bit.

Hmmm, I have written a couple of articles for Linux Journal, with some more in
the works.  It might be nice to shine a light on GnuStep, especially since it is
very topical now that it is the API of the the (arguably) soon to be most widely
distributed version of Unix on the desktop.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Robert

=  Robert Hartley                 Mail:         201 Broadway        =
=  Central Region Systems Engineer              Cambridge, MA 02139 =
=  Integrated Computer            Email:        address@hidden    =
=  Solutions, Inc.                Web Site:     www.ics.com         =
=  Tech Support: address@hidden  Phone:        800-800-4271        =

Visit the MotifZone (www.motifzone.org) for info on Motif!