Re: Some small proposals

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Some small proposals
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:16:20 +0200

address@hidden wrote:

> You wrote:
>
> > The other thing is rather a question. In the specification of NSMenu and
> > NSComboBox it is defined that check if an item is included should return
> > -1 if it is not there. In other places of the framework the value
> > NSNotFound is used instead. Should we stick to the specification here or
> > try to be more consistent by using NSNotFound everywhere?
>
> No, we don't have to break the specification. I don't know who had the idea
> (and why) to use NSNotFound when the specs say to return -1 but this will
> break
> user prgs.
>
> NSMatrix and NSBrowser now follows the specs (to return -1) and we have to
> modify other classes that return the wrong value. (ie NSComboBoxCell)

Hi Mirko,

it was ME who had the idea to use NSNotFound, and that was the reason I
wrote the original mail. I think that NSNotFound would be more accurate
than -1, even if the specification says otherwise, and I wanted to
discuss this. In the meanwhile I checked the most current specification
from Apple and noticed that they are starting to use NSNotFound for some
return values as well. That way mixing things up even worse. So we must
make our independent decision what we want t support.