Re: can libffi be used instead of ffcall?

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: can libffi be used instead of ffcall?
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:03:53 +0200

"Robert E. Hartley" wrote:
> Has anyone explored the idea of using the GNU libffi that comes with gcc
> instead of the ffcall routines with GNUstep?
>
> Would they perform basically the same function?

Basically they do the same thing, but AFAIK (I'm not up to date on
libffi) ffcall runs on a lot more platforms and is more stable.

Notably ffcall is used for two things: a) call stack construction and b)
call stack deconstruction. I think libffi works quite well for a) but
last time I checked b) was only supported on ix86.

Greetings
  Helge
--
SKYRIX Software AG - http://www.skyrix.com
Web Application Technology for Enterprises