Re: Archiving GUI elements

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Archiving GUI elements
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 17:47:36 +0200

Sorry Adam,

looks like it was me who broke archiving. I changed the way popup
buttons and there cells are stored and the code for the first one was so
wrong, that I was sure nobody could have used it. But it looks like Gorm
did use it.
Even now I am not sure, if we should reenable the old way, base on
version numbers. I think it would be better to restore the old
initWithCoder code once, reload your gorm files and store them again
with the new code.
For further changes, where the old and the new version are valid, but
different, we should definitely use the way you and Richard explained.
Still there is no guaranty that all the changes will allow for this
resolution, we should, as Nicola pointed out to me long ago, still not
use Gorm ourselves.

There is one other issue with coding, we should do some thinking on. Now
that Mac OSX is out for some time, their format should be stable enough
for us to use. So if anybody could spend some time investigating this,
we could have a definite format for nib archives at least.