Font support

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Font support
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 18:51:14 +0200

Up to now, I did not get any response at my Xft font support for
GNUstep. This can either be caused by all of you also disliking AA
fonts, or our X system is not capable of using Xft or it is still to
complicate to install. As I cannot help the first two, I am thinking
about resolving the last issue. I could easily submit my current code to
CVS and than everybody willing could just add Xft support by specifying
a flag to the make in xgps. Is this the way to go? I would suggest to
add two different flags. One saying Xft is supported on this computer,
which could be tested by a simple script in configure. This would
control, if the Xft code should be compiled into the library. And
another one to specify that it should actually be used (By setting
XftFontInfo in the [initializeBackend] method). We could as well make
this last one an entry into the user defaults, yes this looks like the
better solution.
If nobody opposes, I would add the changes and supply Adam with a test
for Xft, that could be added to configure. I still don't understand how
configure works and I don't have any interest in learning it.