NSUserDefaults update ... please test.

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: NSUserDefaults update ... please test.
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 18:25:39 +0000

OPENSTEP and MacOS-X explicitly warn that NSUserDefaults is not thread safe.

I have always thought that this was a bad thing, and the only justification I could see for it was system performance - user defaults are used in many places, so making them thread safe might have a big performance impact ...
on the other hand, they are used in a lot of places so having them not be
thread safe is asking for trouble.

Anyway, I've just tried adding locking to make them thread safe, and would like
impressions of what performance impact this has had.
I've therefore deliberately turned on locking even when the program is not
multi-threaded - so we can see what effect the locking is having.

Of course, this is quite a big change, so it's very possible I've not got it
100% working, but the testsuite passes.