Re: Gorm format

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Gorm format
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 16:59:12 -0600

"Philippe C.D. Robert" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just would like to know if I can consider the Gorm file format as stable or
> not. Concrete I wonder if it is worth porting ProjectCenter to use Gorm files
> instead of a hardcoded GUI already now.

The Gorm format itself is pretty flexible, so it's not likely to change. What
may or may not be stable is the format of encoded objects (i.e.
encodeWithCoder:, initWithCoder:). I've asked that if
developers change the coding format of an object that they provide (at least
temporarily) a method for loading in the old format.

The objects that are not currently available from Gorm (Browsers, Tables, etc)
are not stable, however (NSBrowser doesn't even implement coding yet). But
we're working on that.

P.S. I'm using Gorm generated files in the gui for NSPrintPanel and
NSPageLayout. Plus, currently, almost all the inspectors that Gorm uses are
gorm files generated by Gorm!