Re: New releases

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re: New releases
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:41:38 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001 20:15:13 -0700 Adam Fedor <address@hidden> wrote:

 >| I'd like to make a new release of gnustep-base (and perhaps a new
 >| gnustep-make, which has some important bug fixes). I'd like to do this
 >| with the next two-three weeks or so, in order to get a release of
 >| gnustep-gui/xgps/etc sometime in January.
 >|
 >| Is there anything anyone is intending to do with gnustep-base or make
 >| currently, or any important things that need to be fixed? Please let me
 >| know.

I think there's a problem in NSString formating functions.
Many times, I've got problems using NSLog/NSDebugLog when the arguments are
long strings, may be something like:
NSLog(@"a: %@",a)
when a is > 2000 or 2000 characters.
In fact I get problem when logging objects containing themselves other objects
which also contains... I think It's not a
recursion problem but a buffer problem.

Is there known limitations (i.e.limitation described in specifications or other
document) ?

In NSString initWithFormat: locale: arguments: there's a fixed size: f.size =
100
In GSFormat (FormatBuf_t *s, const unichar *format, va_list ap,NSDictionary
*locale) too:
        unichar work_buffer[1000];
        s->buf = NSZoneMalloc(s->z, 100*sizeof(unichar));
        s->size = 100;
        size_t nspecs_max = 32;
        if (len < 8192...

Dynamic resizing seems to be implemented:
        /* Maybe the buffer is too small.  */
        if (MAX (prec, width) + 32 > sizeof (work_buffer) / sizeof (unichar))
          workend = ((unichar *) alloca ((MAX (prec, width) + 32)
                                        * sizeof (unichar))
                     + (MAX (prec, width) + 32));

Manuel

Manuel Guesdon - OXYMIUM <address@hidden>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0999  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998