Re: base library Localizable.strings

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: base library Localizable.strings
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:28:58 +0000 (GMT)

> > I think what we might do is, we implement/use some sort of new
> > `lightweight framework' support for gnustep.  We use that in gnustep core
> > libraries - for other libraries other people can do what they want - use
> > standard frameworks, lightweight frameworks, normal libraries + bundles,
> > or whatever they want.
> >

> I like the fact that resources for a library could be stored in a unique
> place. That would avoid name clashes, which is the most useful thing.

By the way, what about resources of a tool ?

I think it should be possible to associate resources with a tool as well.
You might have tools which are quite complex and need resources as much as
an application does (think of a big server) ... and of course even if they
are tiny, any single piece of software needs localization!  Without tool
specific resources you can't even localize tools, which is pretty bad.

(I'm not even sure how and if they can localize standalone tools and
graphicless applications in Apple Cocoa, anybody has a hint ?  Can you
write a simple Foundation-only server in Cocoa and localize its messages
easily ?  Or are you forced to build a full bloated ball of mud framework
just to translate a couple of messages in your twenty-line tool ?)

For example, autogsdoc needs the DocTemplates, and obsviously translation
of its messages ...

So - I won't touch gnustep-make now, but the next release of gnustep-make
will include both *_RESOURCE_FILES and *_LOCALIZED_RESOURCE_FILES for
tools as well as libraries.  That will install them into
GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR/Libraries/Resources/libraryname/
and
GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR/Tools/Resources/toolname/
respectively.

I'll add a +bundleForTool: API to NSBundle which will return you the first
matching bundle taken from the

GNUSTEP_*_ROOT/Tools/Resources/toolname

directories.  That will make a couple with +bundleForLibrary: and will be
our standard API for bundling resources and localizations with libraries
and tools.