Q about your DnD changes

From: Willem Rein Oudshoorn
Subject: Q about your DnD changes
Date: 22 Dec 2001 21:07:40 +0100

I have a few questions about your changes to the XGDragView.

1 - Why did you change the lines like
        [XGContext ...]
        [isa ...] ?

    I am just curious.  It is not a construct I use normally.
    Is it for performance reasons?

2 - I noticed that you check now before dropping
    if the targetMask is not equal to NSDragOperationNone.

    Maybe it is better if we check:

    (targetMask & dragMask & operationMask) != 0

    [that is, we only initiate a drop when:
        source and target and key modifiers
     agree that a drag is possible.]

3 - I read a comment that you wanted to handle
    the status update for a local drag directly
    and bypass the X-server.   The reason stated was
    that otherwise in the converions information would get lost.

    I agree that in the current conversion information gets lost.
    However by using the xdnd protocol better.  That is,
    when the operation(s) do not map directly to predefined
    xdnd types we can use the XdndAsk action.
    This will allow us to use the XdndActionList to
    transfer all the data we want.
    This has two advantages:

     - No seperate code for local / external
     - Better conformance to the Xdnd protocol.

Wim Oudshoorn.

P.S.: I am still thinking about the question you raised about
      the Drag pasteboard.  I am not sure if what you want
      is the right way.  But I need to understand X selections
      better before passing a judgement.