Clipboard and Primary

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Clipboard and Primary
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 17:16:46 +0100

While rereading the different specification for DnD I came over a
clipboard specification that says that newer applications and frameworks
will use CLIPBOARD for cut/paste and PRIMARY for the selection. This
changes is something easy to do for GNUstep and I would recommend that
we make it.
We could provide the old behaviour (using PRIMARY for cut/paste) as
being switchable by a user defaults setting.
To fully support the new features we could add a new pasteboard (e.g.
GSSelectionPboard) that would store the current selection and would be
pasted on middle mouse up. This pasteboard would mostly be used by the
NSTextView, where any change of the selection would set it. And there
would be a X pasteboard handler that would connect this to the X PRIMARY
selection.

Fred

PS: One idea for the DnD pasteboard could be to poll the owner of the X
DnD selection for the available types. This way we could keep the
transfer code in a separate application. This trick could also help to
provide the real types for the cut/paste selection.