Re: Release of GUI Libraries

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Release of GUI Libraries
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 07:56:12 +0000

On Sunday, January 13, 2002, at 02:55 AM, Adam Fedor wrote:

Nicola Pero wrote:

I suppose window positions and sizes should be in points as well.
Code to draw in the icon window, which is created by Window Maker of a
fixed size - in pixels - will need to be adjusted so that it draws using the new API in points but making sure the result fits into a icon window
of a certain fixed size - in pixels.
Last, it is quite possible/nearly certain that after we convert everything to draw in points, it will not look right, because of the uneven scaling so some lines might be too big, other too little ... We probably need to
implement some sort of anti-alias drawing of lines etc to work around
this.
To make it all work, quite big improvement of our backend code is needed -
might be an exciting improvement when we get there.

I think we should revert the code for this release. There would be too many things to change and test to make it the right way. Plus I still would like to evaluate some other libraries that could do this stuff for us (e.g. libart for the graphics)

I think I agree on that ... I'm far from sure that we even understand clearly what the exact behavior should be. eg. It seems pretty obvious that it would make sense for everything to be done in points and scaled, yet I have a strong feeling that NeXTstep didn't scale images
to follow text (and that worked nicely of course).
Perhaps the whole issue should be put aside until FOSDEM?