Re: What's my stupid mistake with mingw?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: What's my stupid mistake with mingw?
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 18:10:16 +0000

On Saturday, January 26, 2002, at 04:57 PM, Nicola Pero wrote:

I tried running GNUstep.sh ... found that it fell over because under xp
the path to a users home directory has spaces in it ... modified GNUstep.sh
to quote variables better and fix that problem.

Hhh ... didn't know this ... it might well cause horrible problems ...
make doesn't like spaces in paths ... it always assumes that no filename
or path has spaces in it, and it's like a design assumption, I'm not sure
there's something we can do about it ... make won't even *start*
processing a gnustep-make GNUmakefile if there are spaces in paths,
because just the first command,

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

will *never* work if the GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES path has an embedded space in
it ... and this is only the first command ...

Argh.

Not that I doubt you, but I checked for myself to see the degree to which
this is the case, and it does appear to be a pervasive and fundamental
problem.

I guess the best we can do then is to add a check for embedded spaces in
the makefiles system.

Perhaps if GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT contains spaces, we could replace it with
/home/$USERNAME (which is where cygwin user info seems to go)
as long as $USERNAME does not contains any spaces, and with GNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT
otherwise?