Re: What's my stupid mistake with mingw?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: What's my stupid mistake with mingw?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:04:38 +0000 (GMT)

> Not that I doubt you, but I checked for myself to see the degree to which
> this is the case, and it does appear to be a pervasive and fundamental
> problem.
>
> I guess the best we can do then is to add a check for embedded spaces in
> the makefiles system.

I'd like to know what other users of these unix compatibility environments
on Windows do - other projects porting to windows with these unix
compatibility envs will likely have a similar problem ... if any path
containing spaces ends up in one of their makefiles, they're going to have
the same problem.

> Perhaps if GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT contains spaces, we could replace it with
> /home/$USERNAME (which is where cygwin user info seems to go)
> as long as $USERNAME does not contains any spaces, and with
> GNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT otherwise?

I think it would be wise to do something radical in this spirit, trying to
get rid completely of the whitespaces from the very beginning.  Since I've
never seen Windows XP, I have no idea of the exact terms of the thing.

But please don't forget that gnustep-make's ./configure allows you to set
up each of GNUSTEP_*_ROOT to point wherever you want on disk.

Normally, GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT is set up to ~/GNUstep.  If you want to set it
up to /home/$USERNAME/GNUstep, you can do it -

./configure --with-user-root='/home/$USERNAME/GNUstep'

(you need the 's to make sure that $USERNAME is not expanded when you
configure, otherwise all users will use your GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT :-), but
that it's passed unexpanded to configure, and will be expanded when
GNUstep.sh is executed, so each user will get his own different dir
depending on user name).

As far as I know, if by choosing the appropriate GNUSTEP_*_ROOT dirs it
work in this way, perhaps we don't need to modify gnustep-make, but you
can add the suggestion to use that flag to the installation instructions
for Windows.