(no subject)

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: (no subject)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:59:16 +0000 (GMT)

Hi, I'd like to remove the tool script wrapper which is installed in
/usr/GNUstep/System/Tools, and only install the bare tools.

The main reason is performance.

If I run 'defaults read' from the command line, it takes an average of
0.453 second on my computer (average on 10 measures).  If I run
/usr/GNUstep/System/Tools/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu/defaults read
directly, it takes and average of 0.207 second (average on 10 measures).

The overhead is huge.

This overhead is causing serious problems in practice, since it makes
nearly impossible to write fast running command-line tools in Objective-C
+ gnustep-base.  You can't really write a unix utility - consider that an
average unix utility has a startup time on my system of 0.00 second, and
for example grep can scan recursively the whole of my ~/GNUstep dir in
0.17 second - we can never challenge those times if we spend 0.25 seconds
just on startup time.  And of course we want to challenge those times,
because I don't want to have to write in C (and without gnustep-make)
whenever I need to code a unix-like tool.

(all my times are for 'warm' tools)

For example, if I have a directory which contains 10000 user records each
one stored as a serialized dictionary, and for routine administration I
need one day to examine the contents of the records from the shell, I can
quickly write a shell script which loops on the files, and runs 'pldes' on
each of them.  Only - because of the shell script, this operation will
take much more time - something like 1 hour instead of 30 minute.

So, I'd like to remove the shell wrapper.

Any *sound* reasons why I shouldn't ?