Re: What's my stupid mistake with mingw?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: What's my stupid mistake with mingw?
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 11:47:50 +0000 (GMT)

> >> We could also make b) the default for Windows ? (GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT isn't
> >> in HOME, but rather in a subdir of GNUstep ...) Defaults should
> >> autocreate the /Users/$USER dir on access.
> >
> > Yes ... but we'd need to strip any spaces from $USER first of course, since
> > windows usernames are sometimes things like a persons full name.
>
> Yep. Just strip all spaces, IMHO.
>
> BTW: All this stuff is true for MacOSX as well ...

Anyone wanting to submit/apply a little patch to implement this ? (patch
against current configure.in/GNUstep.sh.in)

I cleaned configure.in a little, it should be trivial now to add the new
default option, but I don't know how to know if we are the version of
Windows which requires this change.

In configure.in, test for GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT, I suppose something like

if windows2000 ; then
  GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT='/GNUstep/User/$USER'
else if test ! -z "$WINDIR"; then
  GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT='$HOMEDRIVE/$HOMEPATH/GNUstep'
else
  GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT='~/GNUstep'
fi

might do it.  Then, in GNUstep.sh.in,

if windows2000 ; then
  GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT=`echo $GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT | sed -e 's/ //g'`
else if [ -z "$WINDIR" ]; then
  xxx existing code to convert \ to /
fi

If you let me know how to implement