Re: path handling changes to try out ...

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: path handling changes to try out ...
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:20:16 +0100

On Freitag, Februar 15, 2002, at 12:47  Uhr, Dan Pascu wrote:
On 15 Feb, Helge Hess wrote:
On Freitag, Februar 15, 2002, at 12:21  Uhr, Dan Pascu wrote:
You surely can, but it obviously can not apply to the program that was
just started, because that is only used when loading dynlibs at startup.
But it will apply to any child started from there on, by the app that
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

What about bundles loaded after the initial startup ? Will they use a
modified LD_LIBRARY_PATH ?

if they are started as kids of the process that modified the
environment var. (or a child of some child...). which I guess it's the
case, because they all originate from an initial command you launched.
I mean the bundle is started by some fork/exec from the original
command you launched.

Bundles are dynamically loaded into the process after startup. So the question is, whether libld.so always asks the LD_LIBRARY_PATH env variable or whether it caches that on startup. For childs I don't need rewriting the environment of the process, as I can define the environment for exec's myself anyway.

However, if nothing can be automated for the first invocation, it's useless anyway. Maybe there is some hook in the program which is called by libld.so before it dynamically loads any library ?

Greetings
  Helge