Re: Re[6]: EOKeyValueCoding

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Re[6]: EOKeyValueCoding
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:14:56 +0000

On Sunday, February 24, 2002, at 08:38 PM, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:04:31 +0100 (CET)
Manuel Guesdon <address@hidden> wrote:
| >> you
| >
| > I agree :-) on the last sentence but in this case, why putting "base
| > KVC" in FoundationExt an not base  ?
|
| As I wrote, to support old Foundations which do *not* have KVC in
| Foundation (like the Foundation of OPENSTEP). I would *copy* the code
| over to FoundationExt (so it's contained in both libraries).

You're right. I've forgotten this one.

IMHO this would be a bad move from our side. Of course old code should be supported whenever possible, but much, much more important is IMHO to be and remain compatible with Cocoa/Apple. We have to be very careful not to introduce
incompatibilities on basic stuff like that.

Yes ... I think it's considerably more important to keep stuff like this in
sync with MacOS-X than to support OPENSTEP.  I imagine that the userbases
concerned differ by three or four orders of magnitude.
I think I said before, it would be reasonable to consider putting this stuff in another place than Apple do to simply be a bug - I'm pretty sure most users
would look at it that way.

BTW who actually has FoundationExt installed who does not really use GDL?

Another problem with that being that afaik FoundationExt is not part of GNUstep because it's never been given to the FSF ... so we don't want to add GNUstep code to it, or have GNUstep code depend on it (another reason why I'd really
like to have a gdl2 without such a dependency).