RE: Slimming down the drawing API

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: RE: Slimming down the drawing API
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:15:47 -0700

Well noone seems to be on Fred's side, so I guess I'll have to help him out :-)

I'd also agree that we should provide a higher level interface than PS, even for drawing. Remember that the PS function that we would need to privde aren't just the ones 'we' use but any power user would want to use, and some drawing functions require pretty significant PS drawing manipulations, most of which we could never hope to emulate fully, but at least we could provide a high-level equivalent that would avoid the complex PS code. Quartz, for instance, is a fairly high level drawing interface (perhaps we could model after that?).

It would also be almost trivial to write a fully complient PS backend by linking in the ghostscript library (as I talked about at FOSDEM) and expose the full power of PS to the developer without changing our backend interface (not that I advocate doing this, it's just that I know that it is possible to do, so I don't feel compelled to emulate PS fully in xgps (which was only a quick hack until DPS got working, but it got out of hand...))

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you