Re: Various retain/release bugs

From: Michael Hanni
Subject: Re: Various retain/release bugs
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:28:25 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

--- Nicola Pero <address@hidden> wrote:

>    so the difficult - yet interesting
>    - thing is to take stuff and try to figure out how to make sure it's
>    redrawn only as many times as necessary - not more, not less - and
>    still, of course, honour the documented API, and never get the wrong
>    drawing no matter how special the situation :-)

>From someone who has stepped through redraw after redraw I can say yes, this is
difficult. :)

>  - improve NSTabView (probably require to rewrite most of it) - this is
>    a very useful gui element which is not well implemented in gnustep - btw
>    if you don't display the little tags on top, I think it can also be used
>    to produce the classical NeXTstep swap views - where you have a control
>    on top of the window, and by acting on the control, you change the view
>    displayed below - used to build NeXTstep-like inspectors (like the ones
>    in Gorm) - where you swap the view by using a popup button, or
>    NeXTstep-like preferences panels - where you swap the view by using a
>    row of buttons in a scrollview.  We might even add some extension to
>    tab view to support automatically building these kinds of panels!

This already works. You need only supply the appropriate NSTabViewType value.
There was a sample of this in the old examples directory, ummm, it was called
GNUstepInstall.app or something like that.

That is not to say that a rewrite would be a bad thing. :-) In particular
drawRect: and selectTabViewItem: should be rewritten to make the drawing more
precise and the switching of views correct (i.e. currently the views don't
resize properly before being added to the tab view after the tab view's size
changes -- pretty easy fix though.) If someone could point me to a tutorial of
how to use NSBezierPath correctly I'd love to write the tab drawing code again
(with some additional styles as well.) Also, I never wrote the code for
shortening of label strings among other things...

Cheers,

Michael

=====