Re[6]: KeyValueCoding (was Recent key-value encoding changes to NSObject

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re[6]: KeyValueCoding (was Recent key-value encoding changes to NSObject.)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:45:02 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:27:40 +0000 Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden>
wrote:
 >| >> |

 >| > Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this mean that we'll have a
 >| > different behavious between NSArray in base and NSArray in
 >| > GNUstepWeb/EOF:
 >| >         Exemple 1:
 >| >                 NSArray -valueForKey:@"something" won't find a value in
 >| > base
 >| >         but in gsweb    NSArray -valueForKey:@"something" will return
 >| > an array of results of performing valueForKey:@"something" on each
 >| > object of
 >| > the array
 >|
 >| Yes.
 >|
 >| >         Exemple 2:
 >| >                 NSArray -valueForKey:@"lastObject" will return the last
 >| > object of the array in base
 >| >         but in gsweb    NSArray -valueForKey:@"lastObject" will return
 >| > an array of results of performing valueForKey:@"lastObject" on each
 >| > object of
 >| > the array
 >|
 >| Yes.
 >|
 >| > Same kind of problem in NSDictionary
 >|
 >| Yes.
 >|
 >| > Don't you think the performXXforKey mecanism is interesting not only
 >| > for EOF but for other uses ?
 >|
 >| Yes.
 >| But people wanting it for other uses should be able to link with the
 >| appropriate libraries.
 >| The fact that an idea is neat is a reason to have it available, but not
 >| a reason to include
 >| it with everything.
 >|
 >| My point ... which I obviously haven't managed to make clear yet ... is
 >| that we should not
 >| introduce unexpected behaviors into the software without good reason.
 >|
 >| A program built using the Foundation framework should work much the same
 >| way as a program
 >| built using the base library.
 >| A program built using Foundation and WebObjects should work much the
 >| same way as a program
 >| built using base and gsweb.
 >|
 >| Now I realise that this stuff has been dropped from Apples ObjC API ...
 >| but to me that means
 >| the best place to put it is probably an EOF clone (since Apple have
 >| dropped EOF), and have
 >| gsweb depend on the EOF code.  I'd like to see a decent EOF as part of
 >| GNUstep.
 >|
 >| If/when apple move these extra methods into Foundation, we should move
 >| them into base.
 >| That way, people porting will get the behaviors they expect, and we will
 >| be able to use
 >| whichever behavior we want.

OK. So, to summarize before freezing things in EOF/GSWeb: with your last
changes (rewrite of KVC in base to use cstrings), we consider that KVC in base
is finished
(except bug and/or Apple futur changes) and I'll implement EOF/GSWeb feature in
their own libraries. right ?

Manuel

Manuel Guesdon - OXYMIUM <address@hidden>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0999  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998