Re: NSProcessInfo incompleteness

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: NSProcessInfo incompleteness
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 17:45:50 +0200

On Monday, April 8, 2002, at 05:30 PM, Nicola Pero wrote:

Anyway, I've implemented it using [NSBundle +_gnustep_host_os] as a quick
solution (I'll commit soon).  I think ideally you are right, and the
system should examine /proc and use other heuristics at runtime - but it's just
too much work for too little gain.

Yep - I was assuming that Marcus - who needs it - would be happy to write
the little code required. :-)

Hehe ... I'm perfectly happy with Richard's solution I think. :-)
I agree with both of you, that technically a sophisticated approach using uname or something at configure time would be better - but then again, GNUSTEP_HOST_OS is exactly what is required in most cases. I was just wondering if it wouldn't be better (designwise) to move the code from NSBundle (which caches all variables) to NSProcessInfo and make that accessible via class methods (as a GNUstep addon). However, Richard is right - probably too less benefit for too much work.

Cheers,

  Marcus

P.S.: Mac OS X (and OS X Server 1.x) return "MACH".

--
Marcus Mueller  .  .  .  crack-admin/coder ;-)
Mulle kybernetiK  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com