Re: Path separator in NSBrowser on MinGW

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Path separator in NSBrowser on MinGW
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 00:23:54 +0200

Hi Richard,

great that you did start to resolve this issue. But I do have problems to understand your new code. As far as I see, [NSFileManager stringWithFileSystemRepresentation:length:] now replaces a MinGW path of the form "c:\path" with "~c/path" which does not look sensible for me. What happens is that when the file manager tries to revert the path back to a windows path it finds ~ this is handled by [NSString stringByStandardizingPath] by replacing it with the home directory. Why dont we use "//c/path" instead? Or use the NT device name for the drive, e.g. //./c/path? (Ok, this would lead to similar problems when stringByStandardizingPath eliminates the "/./" part) Or we add "/cygdrive/" even for mingw, this would save us from inventing a private solution. Currently I am not able even to run the defaults tool on Mingw, so we have to urgently find a solution.

Cheers Fred