Re: "Jaguar" additions

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: "Jaguar" additions
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 07:52:47 +0100

On Tuesday, August 20, 2002, at 06:41 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

Well we shouldn't look at this code, particularly anyone interested in writing those classes. Particularly since it's an open standard, we could have the ability to drive it's adoption on GNU/Linux and other Free OSs. That would be cool.

True, since it's an open standard, I guess it's not really necessary to look at existing source code. There's even a draft RFC at http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-zeroconf-reqts-10.txt . (There are more documents and information at www.zeroconf.org.)

The license on the code may be incompatible with LGPL, so if we took the knowledge from looking at that source and built it into GNUstep we could get in trouble with
Apple insisting that we release GNUstep under their license.

Actually copyright is a bigger issue I guess ... GNU projects have to have copyright assigned to the Free Software Foundation (simplifies legal matters defending copyleft infringement if the entirety of the copyright for a project is owned by the FSF) and any code we could be accused of copying from elsewhere would be a problem.