Re: "Jaguar" additions

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: "Jaguar" additions
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 02:58:11 -0400

Adam Atlas wrote:

> With the release of Mac OS X 10.2 (commonly referred to by its code
> name "Jaguar") in less than 5 days, there will be many changes,
> updates, and new features in Apple's  Cocoa. (And suddenly, you can't
> say that the GNUstep Foundation is 100% complete anymore.)

Sure they can -- and do can I; Some of what Apple have done to Foundation
is sheer crap, and some of it is seemingly designed to do nothing more
than hamper portability.

> One of the most notable additions is NSNetService and
> NSNetServiceBrowser, two classes for Apple's new "Zeroconf" technology
> (referred to in Mac OS X 10.2 as "Rendezvous"), a system for devices,
> including printers, PDAs, and of course computers (and more), to
> discover each other with absolutely no configuration necessary.

Zeroconf is an open thing, started by someone in Motorola. "Rendezvous" is
Apple's name for their implementation.

Just like AirPort isn't Apple technology; it's Apple's trademarked name
for IEEE 802.11 technology.

[snip]

> In fact, Apple also created classes (actually, I think they're
> technically C structs) called "CFNetService" and "CFNetServiceBrowser"
> as part of the CoreFoundation framework (Not related to
> Cocoa/OpenStep/GNUstep; just another framework inherited from NeXT)
> that are open source under the APSL (which RMS hates). Once Jaguar is
> released (On the 24th), source will be available from www.darwin.org.

CoreFoundation has no relation at all to NeXT; it was entirely created by
Apple as a C API to do things similar to what Foundation does. Apple's
Foundation is itself based on CoreFoundation now, or so I hear.

> Actually, there are much more additions, not just Zeroconf/Rendezvous.
> I have an Apple Developer Connection account, so I receive betas of
> upcoming Mac OS X releases, and I can post any major changes to this
> list so the other developers can also get a head start on adding the
> latest changes to GNUstep.
>
> I can post new header files from Cocoa, API documentation, and/or
> release notes, but they will have to be in a private area that only
> GNUstep developers can access until Jaguar is released in 5 days.

I'm kinda trying to figure out just what the point of this is; playing
follow-the-leader is useless, in large part because there are huge areas
where "the leader" simply can't be followed, because of trade mark,
license, patent issues, or just the fact that they have a _lot_ of people
working on OSX full-time.