Re: "Jaguar" additions

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: "Jaguar" additions
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:26:09 -0600

David Ayers wrote:

In any case, It would be great to see a clear strategy statement of what
GNUstep will aim for.

Good point.

One strategy that we probably need to decide on soon is our imaging model. The choices now are DPS or Quartz. They differ in how aspects of the alpha channel are handled. The current gui is actually inconsistant in this respect. I'd like to move towards supporting the Quartz model, with perhaps a defaults switch to allow using the DPS model for compatibility. And it's not just because Apple is using this model - other people are too, like Adobe (PDF) and probably Gnome (although I'm not sure of this).

Alexander has written the new libart backend to use the Quartz model (but he could switch), and balaton Zoltan has written the gs backend, I think, to use either.

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you