Re: "Jaguar" additions

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: "Jaguar" additions
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 19:06:01 +0100

On Wednesday, August 28, 2002, at 05:55 PM, BALATON Zoltan wrote:

But the NSFont is opaque and
mostly implemented in the gui. It delegates some of its functionality to
the backend via GSFontInfo, but ghostscript provides a higher level
implementation thus it is not a good match for the gslib backend. I see
two ways to circumvent this: one is to put a gs_font in GSFontInfo and try
to synchronise it to NSFont but this is error prone, the other is to
subclass NSFont in the backend and reimplement it using ghostscript, but
the superclass still had wrong implementations which the gui might try to
use. The solution seems to be to remove all implementations of graphics
related things from the gui and do them in the backend.

You should be able to use poseAs: to replace the gui implementation with your own version, so that there would be no confusion with the gui trying to use the other version. Of course, this does mean that the gui should not cache class pointers or method implementations for classes that the backend might re-implement before the backend gets a chance to replace them... I think the
gui code is pretty good about this.