Re: Proposal. Looking for feedback, interest, etc.

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Proposal. Looking for feedback, interest, etc.
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 21:33:44 +0200

Sorry about the previous mail. Hit 'Send' by accident before finishing.

[snip]
> To make GNUstep work with fb however you would also have to write a
> backend server for fb to handle events and windows. The backend server is
> where the functionality of the WindowServer and DisplayManager is
> implemented. Currently servers for x11 and win exist.

This basically amounts to writing a window manager and a bunch of
related code, and would be a fairly large part of the system.

[snip]
> I currently do not use shared memory in the gslib backend. It could be
> done in the X specific part but I think it should be implemented in the
> x11 backend server instead. I hope the XShm code will be moved from
> backart to the backend x11 server.

As long as the interface is general enough that I can use for more
exotic experiments, I'm ok with this. Should I move
Source/art/ARTWindowBuffer.m to Source/x11/XWindowBuffer.m ? It does
require a few pieces of information about the pixel format that the
backend needs to provide, but not much.

- Alexander Malmberg