Re: Documentation

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Documentation
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 03:37:26 +0200 (CEST)

> From: Adam Atlas <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 20:27:22 -0400
>

> On Tuesday, September 24, 2002, at 07:40  PM, Alexander Malmberg wrote:
>
> > Well, the entire site doesn't have to be devoted to this; there are
> > lots
> > of other things a I think a GNUstep wiki might be useful for. As long
> > as
> > the spec part is set aside and self-contained, it should work.
>
> That's a good idea. I think we should try to set up a general GNUstep
> wiki which includes documentation. I've set up two wikis before, so I
> have experience with this.
>
> >> As I said, most implementations of Wiki store complete revision
> >> history. If we were to set up a Wiki, it could be up-to-the-minute
> >> contributed and official documentation, and then the GNUstep
> >> developers
> >> could decide what goes into the official documentation.
> >
> > This would be a very good arrangement, though I still have a few
> > concerns about distributing, change control (well, change
> > notification),
> > and editing (my browser isn't my favorite text editor). Being able to
> > easily attach comments and updates to the official stuff sounds like a
> > very nice thing, though, so I think it'd be interesting to try :).
>
> About change notification: The original Wiki code is written in perl,
> and could easily be modified to send notifications to a certain email
> address upon the modification of a page whose name starts with NS or GS
> for example. Also, Wiki automatically maintains a RecentChanges page.

I  would rather use  Commanche Swiki  which is  a wiki  implemented in
Smaltalk (Squeak  to be  exact).  Probably more  easy to modify  by an
Objective-C programmer than perl...

    http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/swiki

Note that  in this Swiki, the security  level can be set  up for users
without identification as either:

    Deny All   Read Only   Append   Write   Allow All

and login/password can be set up for identified accesses.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
 The name is Baud,...... James Baud.