Re: Xserver crashes (Re: bug in gnustep-make / my last mail (pantomime))

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Xserver crashes (Re: bug in gnustep-make / my last mail (pantomime))
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 00:11:55 +0100 (BST)

Matthias, you also want to Cc: your X maintainer on Jeff's reply - it
seems Jeff knows much more than me on this matter :-)

Basically, font_cacher is just retrieving the list of fonts using
XListFonts(), then looping on them, and for each of them calling
XLoadQueryFont() [followed by a XFreeFont() before loading the next one,
so only one font should be loaded at any time].  This seems to be crashing
the X server.  Maybe we should ask on an XFree86 mailing what is the best
way to work around this problem, or when they think they are going to fix
the problem.

Maybe a workaround might be to use XListFontsWithInfo() [not sure if
possible for us] ?

(btw - totally unrelated - but gnustep-gui has the same problem, because
it never frees any NSFont object, so if you mechanically loop on all
NSFonts via gnustep-gui's API, you may well get out of memory, even if you
theoretically release all NSFonts correctly!  I have always said we need
to fix this, and NSFont objects *must* be destroyed and not kept around
forever :-)