Re: Window decorations

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Window decorations
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:16:33 -0700

On Fri, 04 Oct 2002 19:03:18 +0200
Alexander Malmberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> "Chris B. Vetter" wrote:
> [snip]
> > Don't want to start a flamewar on Window Managers again, but why not
> > go all the way and have a WM "inside" GNUstep?
> > Looking at GSDisplayServer's description, it (nearly) has everything
> > needed...
> Well, *Step windows don't really need managing, they can manage
> themselves. However, we might not have the option of doing it

I'm aware of that. A perfect example would be starting X11 without a WM
and launch an App, the menus work perfectly...

> ourselves, so we still need to handle the case where something manages
> them for us.

That's where I was getting at. A WM would only be necessary for running
non-GNUstep-based apps (like a web browser or xv ;-). I'm not sure if
it's feasible, but... let's say GNUstep has an 'internal' window manager,
the first application would grab the root window, effectively running as
the 'parent' (ie. a window manager), every application, even plain X11
based, could be managed. Ideally, the first app to be started should be
GWorkspace (or an alternative *gasp* heresy ;-) ...
Just a thought though,

--
Chris