Re: Question about panels

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Question about panels
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 11:18:20 +0100

On Sunday, October 13, 2002, at 10:51 am, Chad Hardin wrote:

I have a question, I’ve been looking at the source for an answer but the way things weave together makes it difficult for me to answer it myself...

I’m creating a very simple, C and SysV IPC based lightweight window server.  Of course, the ultimate goal is to make a backend for this new server.  Right now, the server only deals with top-level windows and leaves inter-window “widgets” the responsibility of the client.  Is this possible with GNUstep?  The reason I ask is because NSView seems to not rely on the concept of “sub-windows” from whatever backend it uses.  Is this correct?

Yep ... the gui layer only requires the backend to support screens (a screen normally represents a physical display) and windows ...
it places windows within a screen, and does all drawing into the windows. You do need to support the ideas of window levels and ordering within window levels. All windows in one level appear on top of all windows in any lower level.