Re: Glyphs and the text system

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Glyphs and the text system
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:08:33 +0200

BALATON Zoltan wrote:
[snip]
> On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Alexander Malmberg wrote:
> > 1.
> > Glyph generation. This needs to be done in the backend. I'll write one
> > for the freetype-based code in back-art, but other backends might be a
> > problem. I can write a dumb default one that works like the current one,
> > though.
>
> Which states that glyph generation is done in the backend. I'm confused
> now and probably still missing something.

The glyphs need to be generated in the backend (it's the only thing that
has access to enough information from the font), but the NSLayoutManager
needs the information to do further processing. The backend will need to
implement a few methods that do the raw glyph generation and return the
generated glyphs, and NSLayoutManager will call them and store the
glyphs (and pass them on to NSTypesetter, etc.).

- Alexander Malmberg