Re: make-system for frameworks

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: make-system for frameworks
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 20:29:08 +0200

Nicola Pero wrote:

Sorry for not answering sooner - the current setup is quite correct in
that it allows different tools to share the same object files.

No problem, it gave me chance to gain some understanding of the make system!

For example, you might have tool1 and tool2, both contining
common.m.  common.m is compiled once into common.o, and is linked into
both tools.  It's sort of a basic static library.

It's quite useful at times.

I guess it could be, but somehow seems a bit dangerous... But hey the system offers a way to handle it in those cases.

If you need to have separate object files, my suggestion is that you
override the GNUSTEP_OBJ_DIR definition setup by the gnustep-make system
in your own GNUmakefile.

After including common.make, but before including the caompilation
rules,override GNUSTEP_BOJ_DIR :

ifeq ($(GNUSTEP_INSTANCE),AAA)
GNUSTEP_OBJ_DIR := $(GNUSTEP_OBJ_DIR)/AAA
else ifeq $($(GNUSTEP_INSTANCE),BBB)
 GNUSTEP_OBJ_DIR := $(GNUSTEP_OBJ_DIR)/BBB
endif
endif

Actually in this case I'll use:

ifneq ($(GNUSTEP_INSTANCE),)
GNUSTEP_OBJ_DIR := $(GNUSTEP_OBJ_DIR)/$(GNUSTEP_INSTANCE)
endif
But that's just fine!

Now I'll look multiple FRAMEWORK_NAME instances!
Well, acutally on Monday 'cause we've just got visitors for the weekend.

Thanks a lot!
Cheers,
Dave