NSDocumentController changes

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: NSDocumentController changes
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 19:27:48 +0100

Hi Adam,

I like the part of your change that now the document controller is put in the responder chain automatically. But I have some concerns with the way it gets done. It is not only that the current code does not correspond to the published documentation, it is also very slow. Please remember that targetForAction: is called for each menu entry without an explicit target during each loop cycle. Why didn't you set it as the delegate of the NSApp? In the Apple documentation NSDocumentController is refered to as the application delegate in the overview for this class. This looks like the most natural way to bring it into the chain. Do you have any proof that this is not the way it gets done for OpenStep or MacOSX?

I would also prefer to remove the method isDocumentBasedApplication again and make this check directly in finishLaunching, the only place where it would be needed.

Cheers