Re: NSFileHandle -socketProtocol

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: NSFileHandle -socketProtocol
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:15:56 -0800

On 2002-11-11 23:40:30 -0800 Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:
On Monday, November 11, 2002, at 11:28  pm, Chris B. Vetter wrote:
please, someone enlighten me: why is it defined as
    - (NSString *) socketProtocol;
and returns nil? Shouldn't it be an int?
It returns the protocol name (eg. "ssl" or "tcp") as documented.

So the actual implementation should be done by subclasses. ?!

The problem here is, SSL is no _socket_.
SSL is between PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM and your application.

Hopefully in future it might return other protocol names like "unix", "socks"

Huh? unix? socks? unix domain sockets? NFS?

WTF???

Are we talking about different interpretations of the terms "socket" and
"protocol" here?

etc. There is no int value it could return.

Read RFC790 and RFC1700 ... or do a

 grep -R IPPROTO /usr/include/*

It would make more sense for -socketProtocol to return something like
IPPROTO_TCP instead of @"tdp".

Unless of course your definition of "socket" differs from everybody else's.

--
Chris