Re: GDL2 on MacOS X

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: GDL2 on MacOS X
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 20:21:46 -0700

Stéphane Corthésy wrote:
I have some questions now:
- What is the current state of gdl2?? How compatible is it with EOF 2? WebObjects 4.5's EOF implementation? - Do gdl2 developers plan to support MacOS X? If they reply "no", no need to read remaining questions ;-)

They (we?) should. Although I don't think any of the main developers use MacOSX so we would rely on patches and bug reports from others.

I don't think your patch will work though, since you need the garbage collecting classes for gdl2. We're working on a compatibility library that you could compile on MacOSX to get this to work.

- Does it even compile on a GNUStep system?? I had to correct some code, independant of platform.

Well, understand that it's not even a released version yet, it's just in CVS.

- gdl2 depends on GNUStep-specific classes, like GCArray, etc. Can this dependency be removed? There are also references to methods not implemented in MacOS X, like subclassResponsibility:, but in these cases we could implement categories on MacOS X for GNUStep compatibility.

see above.

- gdl2 is not consistent regarding retain/release and garbage collecting; sometimes macros are used for retain/release, sometimes method calls are used. How should it be done?

macros should be used, since it's possible to compile GNUstep with automatic garbage collection, so that retain/releases aren't even needed.

Finally, I suppose there are a lot of Cocoa developers willing to use EOF... erh gdl2 ;-) I suppose GNUStep people will find help among them. There are also a lot of former OpenStep/WO4 developers that could help, now that there is a concrete opensource EOF for Cocoa. So please, subscribe to that list, checkout gdl2 and give GNUStep developers needed help. I'll try to.

Yes. Thanks!

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you