Re: Determining HOME under MinGW

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Determining HOME under MinGW
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:02:06 +0000

On Wednesday, November 27, 2002, at 04:22  pm, Nicola Pero wrote:

Now by concept the USERPROFILE actually fits the notion of the "user"
directory beter. Yet this path is bound to have spaces and I'm not sure
what implications that would have. (I wondering whether gnustep-make
needs checks for files in this directory.)

I'm afraid this might be a problem at the moment.

It's the only really outstanding problem in gnustep-make - that
directories and filenames with spaces in them do cause problems.

It's not specifically gnustep-make's problem though, it's a basic
limitation of make, which was designed when spaces where not really
considered valid/usable in filenames.

Maybe if we think carefully about it, we could devise a way to work around
this problem, possibly by adding some extension into, or modifying the
behaviour of, the GNU make program itself.

I need to think about it.

In the meantime, I've hacked in (untested 'cos I don't have a windows system running right now) a test for whitespace in the string ... so it's only used if it doesn't contain spaces.