Re: gnustep-make on OSX

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: gnustep-make on OSX
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:57:00 +0100

On Samstag, Dez 14, 2002, at 03:54 Europe/Berlin, Nicola Pero wrote:
I only needed to fix a few flags.  I think it was supposed to, but in
practice it wasn't setting the -framework flags properly when building
with nx-nx-nx library-combo.  I've also dropped old NeXTstep stuff.

Hm, personally I would have kept the "old" NeXTstep stuff and created a new combo "apple-apple-apple" (or a-a-a ?) which does the Apple thing (I think I suggested that before).
But isn't really important for me either ;-)

What I want to do is have any reasonably standard GNUmakefile of a GNUstep
project compile natively on OSX to build native OSX application /
frameworks / bundles from the same source code.

BTW: A major problem is that Finder doesn't support reading GNUstep.sh, which implies that you either need to start all GNUstep related programs (including PBX) from the shell or patch .MacOSX/environment.plist to include/define all required environment variables statically.

There is a particular trick which I have in mind to get there ... which is that library.make will actually build frameworks on OSX ... but I need to
experiment with this.  :-)

Hm, good idea ! This would solve me a lot of problems and does more or less exactly what I need.

Nicola, could you add support for umbrella-frameworks on OSX, including "contained frameworks" (copying the libraries into a bigger single framework package) ? The reason is, I have something like 30 libraries which I build as frameworks on OSX, but for easier distribution collect them in 3 or 4 umbrella's.

Greetings
  Helge