Re: gstep-make

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: gstep-make
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 12:50:24 +0100

Nicola Pero wrote:
some more questions. How difficult is it to add custom source-types to gstep-make ? I have two different cases:
a) adding files that translate to ObjC
b) adding files which require a new mechanism

---
Example for a): [...snip...]

BTW: as an interim solution: would this work with gstep-make:
---
.m: .xobjc
  pre $< $@
MyTool_OBJC_FILES = other.m
---

Yes - this is how you are supposed to do for a).

Hm. Well, my question was actually on how to add this to the gstep-make framework itself, that is, how I can add a system-wide:

  MyTool_BLAH_FILES = MyFile.blah

that integrates with make system (eg also works for libraries, bundles, apps, ...)

Probably I need somewhere in the makefiles something like

currenttool_OBJC_FILES += \
  $(replace $(currenttool_BLAH_FILES),.blah,.m)

But if I remember right, the ..FILES are somehow copied between the makefile invocations ?

It's quite common - another example is if you have Embedded-SQL inside C
(or ObjC) files - then you need to preprocess the sources using an
Embedded-SQL preprocessor.

Exactly, this is why it should be easy to add more sourcefile types ?

I would like to avoid that the user (user in terms of makefile-user) has to know that the Blah file is actually an ObjC [C,C++,...] file (and technically it really isn't - it's a new language).

%.m: %.xxx
        {rule running the preprocessor}

OK. At least it is nice to know that this should work :-)

Example for b): this is like adding .java. For example I would like to add Mono support to gstep-make, eg:

MyWOApp_CSHARP_FILES = fake.cs
Anyway, for a), you definitely don't need to touch anything inside
This would compile the .cs to a .NET assembly using Mono and add the assembly as a resource to the WOApp bundle.

Well if you think it's of enough general interest, we can add support for
this stuff inside gnustep-make itself ... but I'm frankly not sure.

No, I don't think that the example itself should be added. But I wonder how difficult it is to add things like that in general.

Would it be viable to support other "languages" like Java/Mono/... using a similiar plugin mechanism like with the project types (just drop in a mono.make in Additional with some documented ;-) variables/rules and the whole thing can compile mono stuff) ?

Else, for a hand-made solution, I think you need a rule to generate %.xxx
(I don't know the extension for Mono .NET assembly) from %.cs.

.dll or .exe ;-) [really!]

Anyway, for a), you definitely don't need to touch anything inside
gnustep-make.  For b), possibly too.

See above, my question is especially on how to extend gstep-make to support additional sourcefile types of "class" a) or b).

Writing custom makefiles is no problem, but it would be nice to use the gstep-make framework for things like this.

Greetings
  Helge