Re: InterfaceWM + GNUstep applications

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: InterfaceWM + GNUstep applications
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 21:56:26 -0700

On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 09:54 AM, Mondragon, Ian wrote:

as of version 1.3, the _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE property now has 8 different
atoms to represent different window types:

        _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP
        _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK
        _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_TOOLBAR
        _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_MENU
        _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_UTILITY     ** new **
        _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_SPLASH      ** new **
        _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DIALOG
        _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL

yet, when a GNUstep application starts up under my current sources (EWMH
version), the property set for the dock icon seems logical
(_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK), but the application menu is set to
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL, rather than the _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_MENU that i
expected...is this in-line with what was planned on your end?

I'd like it to adhere to standards also - more likely it will work with different window managers. Last time I checked WindowMaker didn't really support most of the _NET properties, so I didn't try to make them work. Perhaps I will look closer at getting GNUstep to conform now.