Re: InterfaceWM + GNUstep applications

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: InterfaceWM + GNUstep applications
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 00:54:10 +0100

Looking into the current code would have helped here. In setwindowlevel is the following code:

      else if ((generic.wm & XGWM_EWMH) != 0)
        {
          Atom flag = generic.wintypes.win_normal_atom;

          if (level == NSModalPanelWindowLevel)
            flag = generic.wintypes.win_modal_atom;
          // For strang reasons this level does not work out for the main menu
          else if (//level == NSMainMenuWindowLevel ||
                   level == NSSubmenuWindowLevel ||
                   level == NSFloatingWindowLevel ||
                   level == NSTornOffMenuWindowLevel ||
                   level == NSPopUpMenuWindowLevel)
            flag = generic.wintypes.win_menu_atom;
          else if (level == NSDockWindowLevel)
            flag =generic.wintypes.win_dock_atom;
          else if (level == NSStatusWindowLevel)
            flag = generic.wintypes.win_floating_atom;
          else if (level == NSDesktopWindowLevel)
            flag = generic.wintypes.win_desktop_atom;

          XChangeProperty(dpy, window->ident, generic.wintypes.win_type_atom,
                          XA_ATOM, 32, PropModeReplace,
                          (unsigned char *)&flag, 1);
        }

As we lost all the old comments on the xgps backend, it is hard to tell, if Adam or I did add this, but as far as I remember I did try to set the level of the main menu and it did not work for my KDE release (This was still the 1.1 standard of EWMH, by that time). BTW even for the sub menus I would regard the behaviour of KDE, which is a EWMH compatible manager is broken. My sub menus keep on vanishing. So what we need is no new discussion on the GNUstep side, rather the window managers should get their part sorted out, than we just remove the line of comment and things should work.

Fred

Mondragon, Ian wrote:
all,

  i'm currently in the proccess of making IWM conform to the specifications
layed out in the 1.3 revesion of the EWMH doc, and wanted to contact you
(the gnustep developers) about some things that could help ensure GNUstep
applications are completely supported within IWM.

  (please keep in mind that i don't have the source for either IWM or
GNUstep in front of me)

  as of version 1.3, the _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE property now has 8 different
atoms to represent different window types:

        _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP
        _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK
        _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_TOOLBAR
        _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_MENU
        _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_UTILITY     ** new **
        _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_SPLASH      ** new **
        _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DIALOG
        _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL

  yet, when a GNUstep application starts up under my current sources (EWMH
version), the property set for the dock icon seems logical
(_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK), but the application menu is set to
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL, rather than the _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_MENU that i
expected...is this in-line with what was planned on your end?

  while i had contemplated proposing either new properties or modifications
to the WM_CLASS property to help integrate IWM & GS apps, i'd rather adhere
to standards & get a good discussion with active gnustep developers going on
what you might want to see in your ideal window manager for a GNUstep
environment.