rtf parsing

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: rtf parsing
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 01:37:01 +0100

Hi,

I've been hacking the rtf parser a bit (trying to give the text system
something to display :). After a few fixes, it now displays most things
I give it properly, but there are a bunch of things in the rtf parser
I'd like to change (there's no character set handling, a fair amount of
inefficiencies, and I think this parser should be very liberal in what
it accepts). However, a few things about it are a bit unclear:

1. The parser's written using bison. This seems odd to me since, afaict,
there's no syntax in rtf that needs parsing (except blocks) after lexing
is done, and it makes it harder to handle unknown control words,
skipping characters, and other odd cases. Is there any specific reason
why it was done this way?

2. rtfGrammer.y talks about making the grammar easy to use in other
contexts as well (using c callbacks, it seems). Is anyone using it for
that?

- Alexander Malmberg