Re: Progress of text system

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Progress of text system
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 03:39:56 +0100

It's late here, so this is just a quick response addressing a few of the
issues. I'll respond to the rest of it and explain (again) the reasons
for the design tomorrow.

Fred Kiefer wrote:
[snip]
> The missing parts that I would like to see are the proper ruler handling
> in the layout manager, part of which used to be there

I've brought back the implementation of
-rulerMarkersForTextView:paragraphStyle:ruler:. AFAICT, all methods that
were implemented are still implemented now. If there are any others I've
missed, please tell me and I'll bring them back too. There are still
things left to implement, though.

> and background
> colour handling that still needs implementation (runs will need both the
> foreground and the background colour). Both of this are rather simple tasks.

Color, both foreground and background, is implemented, and it works
here. (There seems to be a bug in rtf-parsing that interferes with

{snip]
>     %   cumulative   self              self     total
>    time   seconds   seconds    calls  us/call  us/call  name
>    42,50    116,41   116,41        0     0,00
> _i_GSLayoutManager_layout_setLocation_forStartOfGlyphRange_
>    23,36    180,40    63,99 80584031     0,79
> GSLayoutManager_run_for_glyph_index
>    10,33    208,68    28,28        0     0,00
> _i_GSHorizontalTypesetter__layoutLineNewParagraph_
>     5,17    222,83    14,15        0     0,00
> _i_GSHorizontalTypesetter___cacheGlyphs_
>     4,57    235,34    12,51        0     0,00
> _i_GSLayoutManager_glyphs_glyphAtIndex_isValidIndex_
>     3,82    245,79    10,45        0     0,00
> _i_GSHorizontalTypesetter__fullJustifyLine__
>     3,27    254,74     8,95        0     0,00
> _i_NSFont__advancementForGlyph_
>     3,15    263,36     8,62        0     0,00
> _i_GSLayoutManager_glyphs_characterIndexForGlyphAtIndex_

Are you sure this is accurate? None of my testing has indicated that
-setLocation:forStartOfGlyphRange: is a bottleneck. On the other hand,
I've never been able to profile GNUstep programs properly; I always get
completely bogus values. Are there any known pitfalls when profiling
GNUstep programs?

[snip]

- Alexander Malmberg