Re: RFA: [NSWindow -update] should not cause display

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: RFA: [NSWindow -update] should not cause display
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:34:56 +0100

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> On Saturday, February 15, 2003, at 11:47  pm, Alexander Malmberg wrote:
>
> Most of your email is clear enough to em, and I agree with the what you
> say,
> but ...
>
> > I would like to remove the display code from [NSWindow -update] to fix
> > this. [NSApplication -updateWindows] would also be changed to send
> > -update to all windows, not just the visible windows. Since this is a
> > somewhat tricky issue, I thought I'd bring it up for discussion first.
> > Comments are welcome. :)
>
> The documentation is pretty clear that -updateWindows handles visible
> windows.
> Why do you say it needs so send update to *all* windows?

The documentation I linked to is slightly ambiguous; some of it says
"all visible windows", and some just says "to each NSWindow". Perhaps
I'm assigning too much significance to the missing qualifier there.

> The -update documentation sats 'An NSWindow is automatically sent an
> update
> message on every pass through the event loop and before it?s displayed
> onscreen.'
>
> So I think that off-screen windows are supposes to be sent an update
> before they
> are made visible ... and if we change the code to do that, do invisible
> windows
> need to be handled in -updateWindows ?

If -update is supposed to be a mechanism for visible windows to update
their state, then sending it to visible windows in -updateWindows and to
invisible windows when they're ordered in would be enough. This behavior
seems reasonable to me, but I can't tell from the documentation whether
this is the intended behavior (the fact that "all visible windows" is
mentioned at all implies that it is, though).

- Alexander Malmberg