Re: GDL2 - TODO needs to be updated

From: Stéphane Corthésy
Subject: Re: GDL2 - TODO needs to be updated
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 14:24:40 +0100

On Monday, Feb 17, 2003, at 13:08 Europe/Zurich, Markus Hitter wrote:

Am Montag, 17.02.03 um 00:13 Uhr schrieb Stéphane Corthésy:

BTW, some people asked me how stable and functional GDL2 is, and how possible would it be to port applications written for Apple's EOF to GDL2 (based on OSX currently, but maybe fully ported on GNUStep).

Don't know how you build your GDL2, but my copy compiles and works fine on OS X without any (additional) GNUstep stuff installed.

My copy works fine, but with additional GNUStep stuff: I've submitted GNUStep modifications for OSX, and now it works. What's still not in the repository is the project file. I'll put it onto our webserver, later.

OK, there are some minor tweaks, but they are collected in 3 files with about 100 lines of code all together. Plus the 4 files for Garbage Collection off GNUstep base.

GC collection works, as well as behaviours. I can compile GDL2/GNUStep out-of-the-box :-)

I've patched the GCObject stuff to work without behaviour adding but currently use a "#define GCObject NSObject" until I can see the promised memory leaks.

I won't search them. As GC works fine, I use it.

The real problem for me is the lack of sample code, however. There are quite some documents on wiki.gnustep.org and developer.apple.com which discuss the theory about how it should work, but doing it in a simple practical app isn't that easy without all that wizards / EOModelers etc. Currently, I'm drilling into the sample code which comes with the WO5.2 demo.

Isn't there some old WO4.5.1 code somewhere?
Anyway, have a look at eoutil.m, in the Tools directory. And you can try to port java stuff in ObjC ;-)

Stéphane