Re: GDL2 - TODO needs to be updated

From: Stéphane Corthésy
Subject: Re: GDL2 - TODO needs to be updated
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 23:28:49 +0100

On Monday, Feb 17, 2003, at 09:42 Europe/Zurich, Manuel Guesdon wrote:

[...]

| - Avoid autoreleased objects (OK Markus, this will be done later ;-)

I don't understand why. Could you elaborate on this ?

Using autoreleased objects when not strictly necessary makes it more difficult to debug memory leaks/zombies, and augments memory footprint.

[...]

| BTW, some people asked me how stable and functional GDL2 is, and how
| possible would it be to port applications written for Apple's EOF to
| GDL2 (based on OSX currently, but maybe fully ported on GNUStep). Can
| we get opinions from its main developers? What is the state of GDL2?

GDL2 was written to follow WO4.5.
I think it is very usable for many projects who don't need explicitely
missing features (inheritence,...).

Hm, well, raw rows were not supported before I patched code for eoutil... And I found some nasty bugs while developing it. Anyway, you know better than I what's inside, that's why I asked. Believe me, if you can convince old users of WO4.5 (who are now either turning to WO5, à contre-coeur, or who keep a machine still running OpenStep or Rhapsody or 10.1 just to let WO45 running) that GDL2 is a viable alternative, then you can get big help from them. Really.

Some things/case are not implemented (NSEmitToDo); some of them aren't because I don't see cases wich match them. If one get an exception on these cases, it's usually
easier to see how to implement them.

Agreed.

I use it for a project which have around 80 entities and it works pretty well.

Interesting to know.

| One last thing. EOInterface. I've heard rumors that some developers,
| who have rewritten something similar, would "give" it to GDL2. Some
| hope in there, or should we think about rewriting it?

I have'nt head this but it would be great !

Manuel

Manuel Guesdon - OXYMIUM <address@hidden>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0999  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998

Thanks,

Stéphane