Re: RFC: [GDL2/base] unableToSetNullForKey: / unableToSetNilForKey:

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: RFC: [GDL2/base] unableToSetNullForKey: / unableToSetNilForKey:
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:01:15 +0100

Hi Stéphane,

Stéphane Corthésy wrote:

Hi,

I suggest you to change function GSObjCReplaceImplementation to return the old IMP pointer: this allows us more tricky things like overloading methods (not simply replacing) by providing a complementary implementation and calling eventually the original implementation, a trick I suggested some time ago.

I must have missed your suggestion, but yes! Returning the original IMP is a "Good Idea". It also popped in my head after reading my mail yesterday. Will do!

Should/could it not be done in your case? Do you really want to replace the whole original implementation, or just extend it?

Well not really in this case, because the method called by the new implementation raises an exception. But in general this could be used that way. And checking for NULL willl be a way of testing whether the replacement actually took place.

Thanks,
Dave