Re: GDL2 - patches for OSX (1)

From: Stéphane Corthésy
Subject: Re: GDL2 - patches for OSX (1)
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 22:33:19 +0100

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 02:10 PM, Nicola Pero wrote:

There is a global macro, GNUSTEP_WITH_DLL, which is defined if compiling
on Win32.

If that's all what you want to check, check for GNUSTEP_WITH_DLL.

Yes that was what I meant.  Which brings up an interesting question...
Do we support Apple's ProjectBuilder generated makefiles and makefile
system, (which I believe Stéphane is using)? Personally I would like to
avoid this because:
a) Maintianers need an OS X to verify that things are working
b) Makefiles and headers will get cluttered with constructs to support
both make systems
c) Nicola goes through a lot of effort to insure gnustep-make works on OS X.
(d) I would prefer patches which include the necessary GNUmakefile
changes as we have to make them anyway.)

Yes - gnustep-make works on OSX, and can build OSX native
tools/applications/frameworks on OSX (linking against OSX native
frameworks, using NeXT runtime etc).  When you install it on OSX, it
should work that way by default (unless you specify a different
library-combo manually).  It works quite nicely for me.

OK, I didn't know, and didn't try. In fact, yes, I did, at the end of last year, but this wasn't yet OK and I didn't retry later.

The problem with having OS X ProjectBuilder project files as well is not so much that we don't want them (if it's easier for OSX people to build it
that way, then it seems a good idea to have them), but simply that then
you need to maintain two separate build systems, and while GNUmakefiles
can be reasonably maintained on both platforms, ProjectBuilder project
files can only be managed using ProjectBuilder running on OSX (so, if you
add a file and you are working under Linux, it's not easy to update the
project files so that they still build using ProjectBuilder on OSX).

Agreed. Nobody would try modifying these files by hand.

My suggestion would be to keep GNUmakefiles as the default/official
building system (because you can easily maintain them both from a Linux
and OSX machine);

I totally agree. I didn't mean replacing GNUmakefiles at all, just provide an alternative for OSX developers. If framework were mature, I would stick to makefiles, build frameworks once, and then concentrate on my application code, but currently that's not the case and when developing an app with gdl2 you always need to have a look at gdl2 code, to trace/debug/correct it. That's where PBX comes very handy.

Stephane could still distribute OS X ProjectBuilder
project files as well - either as part of the standard distribution, or
separated; they might get a bit out of sync/date, but if Stephane
volunteers to keep them updated, they should work.

I volunteer.

Btw - Stephane, have you experimented with using gnustep-make from
*within* ProjectBuilder ? Some people told me that they are doing it. :-)

No, I didn't try, as I didn't thought it was possible to use makefiles on OSX. I'll take a look at that soon: maybe I can avoid maintaining PBX file. I'll see.

Stéphane